Thursday, January 6, 2011

Word Inventing

Even through the English language contains 750,000 words, sometimes I cannot find a word that specifically expresses my emotions. Such as a really fun time: Funderful. That is more of a conglomerate though, instead an actually new word, like frindle from Andrew Clements. But even there, frindle is just another word for pen. So what I'm talking about is a honestly new word meaning something that cannot be described in one existing word. Ciggly: the shunning of a great gift, act of kindness, or other happiness.

I have already a few of the different types of word inventing, but I thought I might as well make a nice little list.

Renaming: just giving an existing object or idea a new word; Frindle
Combining: adding two or more words together in an abbreviated form, but is a completely unique idea; Funderful
Inception: haha tribute to the movie, but honestly a new a word uninspired by anything else; Ciggly
Shortening: combining two words as too make them shorter, like "del" in Spanish; wend (week-end)

Now that we have defined word inventing, I am going to have to admit that I really like word inventing! It allows you to be more understood, if people understand what your doing, and is usually quite funny in a conversation. However, of course this process takes some finesse to actually implement without just making yourself look annoying. You shouldn't ever start a sentence with a word in your mind that you WANT to use. You will look like a annoying prick. That is bad. You should only invent words when you have a thought in your mind, and can't find a word to express yourself. That is a truly exciting event, because you are now free to invent. beautiful.


~V 1.3~

//If you have any topics you would like to see me write about, drop me a comment

No comments:

Post a Comment